|Departure day coffee!|
|Slim arrived to crew with new sunglasses|
|Goodbye -- friends and neighbors|
|Last look back at our city|
|Warm and safe|
Slim arrived with a smile at 0600. We filled our water tanks, the last time for a while. Lanham did a last minute installation of the new printer shelf -- we realized we would be wanting to print weather faxes often and not digging out the printer from its earlier storage spot -- so Slim made us a shelf -- Thanks, Slim. Coffee was consumed -- along with a quiche-- yum, thanks, Julia.
We cast off from our slip at 0730, with a loyal group of dock friends waving. It was a perfect sail up to Port Townsend and into the Straits. We had a tail wind all the way, averaging 6kn, and the sun broke through late afternoon. All good omens! We took turns at the helm rather than starting our watch rotation. Once we turned into the Strait, we had a rip-roaring ride with the boat reaching hull speed of about 8 kn. Big smiles on our faces. We will need to remind ourselves that it's not a race -- enjoy the pace!
We arrived at Sequim Bay, caught a buoy that was offered us, and brother-in-law Gary rowed out to pick us up. He hosted us to a delicious dinner and we got to walk the land up to see the property and cabin foundation that he and Carol will have built by the time we return! Looking great!
|Looking out at our buoy|
|The end of a first great day!|
We slept soundly, feeling secure while the wind rose and fell. Slim and I heard more of it than Lanham, so that shows how tired he was!
|Good-bye Sequim Bay|
|Gary and Molly dog walked to the end of the spit to wave good-bye.|
By about 1400 (2pm) we saw we would likely not make Neah Bay by dark and Port Angeles looked like the last good stop. We went in and found the city pier – right by the BC ferry dock – and a bargain at $15 a night. A big bowl of guacamole and some spinach pasta dinner. More weather forecast downloading and I’m heading up to the hotel on main street to post this tonight. Surprise! We ran into Seattle friend, Neala, working on a field study with colleagues here in town.
The “plan” is to leave here by 5 am, catching an ebb tide and probably lower winds. We will make a long day of it tomorrow. Still have 50 nm to Neah Bay. We will either stop there, or head straight on out into the Pacific!! if the timing is right. The weather for the next few days down the coast looks downright good… and then it will be whatever it is.
We are really having fun and also anticipating the different
feeling we may have when we don’t have stops such as this along the way for the
next few days.
|Lots of hand steering today.|
We’ll write next when we can, know we are well and strong!